Hello Out There....I wanted to share a little bit about myself so new visitors get a little idea of who Bibliophile By the Sea is. Here goes:
- I'm Diane (but my mother also thought about naming me Susan).
- I'm married (he's awesome - he learned the concept of: "happy wife - happy life" early on).
- I'm a mother of two adult children (they're awesome too) and grandmother to three adorable little girls.
- I am baby boomer who works in an academic library, previously a public library, and I
hope to retire early in the next (2) yearsI'm now retired (2015).
- I love the ocean and I am a creature of habit. Reading and reviewing books is my passion. I love life, family, nature, gardening, libraries, movies and animals...especially cats (at one time we had 5 but as of 2018, just (1) senior cat remains).
- I've been maintaining this Book Blog since June of 2008 and I have made so many wonderful friends as a result. Sadly, although I try awfully hard, I do not do a good job of always responding to all of the comments readers leave me....:( I only have so much free time). Please forgive me.
- I didn't become obsessive about reading and tracking what I read until 2000. I always loved books since I was a child, but because of jobs, child rearing etc, I never read a lot or tracked what I read until my children were grown and on their own.
- I am totally obsessed with keeping current with the latest releases while hundreds of perfectly wonderful books sit on my shelf unread.
- I love my Kindle and eBooks, something I never thought would happen. I also love the pretty covers and the books that fill my shelves at home.
- I 'm still addicted to library books, but now I try to use the library mostly for audio downloads. I also preview cookbooks from the library prior to buying them for my collection.
- I'm very obsessive about only reading books in pristine condition. Working in libraries, I've found some pretty disgusting things in books, so I am just a little freaked out by well worn books.
- I am constantly making book lists and revising them. It is other Book Bloggers and numerous publications that feed my list habit.
- With so many books around me, these days I now give books the 25-50 page test, and if I own it and it's not working for me, I donate it unread.
- I love books that have real substance and are thought provoking. I'm really fussy about what I read, and prefer: literary fiction, contemporary fiction, historical, psychological thrillers, mysteries, coming of age stories, memoirs, cookbooks and books for young children the most. My taste in books has changed over the years. I don't read romance, chick lit, sci-fi, paranormal, fantasy or westerns.
- One of my biggest fears: my time will run out before reading all the books I meant to read, and there won't be any good books in my next life.
Thanks for stopping by and hope you'll become a regular visitor here.