Friday, February 17, 2017

RIP - Lily and the Week in Review - W/E - 2/18/2017


Week at a Glance

This week is a bit of a blur: 2 snow storms, Valentine's Day, yoga, lunch with former coworkers and then yesterday, the loss of my very best friend, Lily the Cat.

RIP - Lily
(2003 - 2017)

Lily had actually started eating a bit last weekend but then dislocated her kneecap jumping off our lap.  She was limping for a day and it managed to pop back in to her arthritic knees. Today, Friday 2/17) Lily was scheduled for an ultrasound and X-ray to find out why she is losing weight, not eating much, breathing louder and sleeping lots more than usual these days.  We learned that her lymph nodes were enlarged, she had a tumor on her lung and a solid mass on the base of her heart which was pressing on her trachea causing labored breathing at times.💔💔 We decided it was time to say goodbye to our best cat ever.

About Lily - We adopted Lily as a 10 week old kitten in Rhode Island. An indoor cat only in a multi-cat household, from her earliest days with us, Lily craved warmth. She could often be found burrowed under a scatter rug, under a quilt or often basking in a sun puddle.  A petite girl, the most she ever weighed was in the 7 lb range but her weight dropped to just 5 lbs recently.  I've owned many cats in my life, and loved them all, but, Lily was so special and unique. She was never afraid of strangers, but didn't like being held by anyone and was a bit squirmy (even for us) if you picked her up. Despite this, she was a genuine lap cat, 100%.  She was an equal opportunity lapper - my lap or the hubs, she would take turns.We had routines, coffee with me on my lap after breakfast and she loved to read with me everyday as well.  My girl had an automatic clock built in as well I swear.  When it was time for me to go to bed (generally, around the same time every night), she'd stare at me continuously while on my lap until I said, "okay Lily, you win, time for bed. " The minute I hopped in bed she would join me as well,  positioning herself around my knees and staying there until morning.  How will I ever be able to go to bed tonight, my first night without my girl?  I love you Lily and can only hope that our paths will cross again someday. You will be forever missed. 💔💔


Books Read 





















Setting Free the Kites; Alex George (arc)
GP Putnam & Sons - 2017

(My Thoughts) - I was a huge fan of Alex Georges first novel, A Good American and couldn't wait to read his newest release, Setting Free the Kites.  The story takes place along the coast of Maine,  (I'm picturing Old Orchard Beach as there is an amusement park central to this story). It's 1976 and Robert Carter, is an eight grader who is bullied by a boy named Hollis on the first day of school. Nathan Tilly, a new classmate from Texas, comes to Robert's rescue and the two boys become close friends.  Nathan is obsessed with kite flying and daredevils activities while Robert is more shy and cautious. Nathan has lost his father and begins to spend lots of time at the Carter home while his mother rarely leaves their home. Nathan is a welcome addition to the household which is in turmoil as the family deals with the serious illness of Robert's older brother Liam. The two boys become inseparable even though Nathan the boys are quite different.

Setting Free the Kites was a quick read that held my interest. A story about growing up, love, loss, and imperfect parents.  This is another charming story that takes you back to the times before cellphones and video games when life was for teens was quite different from what it's like today. Another great story by Alex George: well-written, memorable characters, highly recommended. (4/5 stars)















Is This Tomorrow; Caroline Levitt (audio)
Algonquin Books & Highbridge Audio 
(Xe Sands, narrator) - 2013


(My Thoughts) - Set in the suburbs of Boston, MA, 1956, Ava Lark and her son Lewis have rented a run-down house in a nice, safe, family neighborhood.  The other families seem to look down on newcomers - Ava is divorced and the only Jewish person living in the neighborhood. Lewis finds it hard making new friends, except for Rose and Jimmy who also live in a fatherless home. Set in the midst of the Cold War and the paranoia which exists, Jimmy goes missing without a trace. His disappearance deeply affects Rose and Lewis who are certain Jimmy must be alive.  They are determined to get to the bottom of his disappearance, which is eventually revealed. Fast forward seven years Lewis is now living and working in Wisconsin and Rose is in PA but, the two are forever changed

I enjoyed this audio book but, at times the voices seemed a bit too depressing. I loved the setting and descriptions of what life was like back then, as it's always nice to read about a time period a baby boomer like me can relate to. The author's writing is very descriptive and, although the story of what happened to Jimmy seemed to fall into place too easily, I still enjoyed this one.  (4/5 stars)


Currently Reading
  • Being Mortal (reread for my book group)
  • Everything Happens Today; Jesse Browner

55 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. I understand and empathize with you, and what a sweet tribute you wrote about Lily. Hugs and thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about Lily. My dog is getting older and I'm always afraid for the day she'll pass. *hugs*

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, it's just a reminder to enjoy everyday with those we love.

      Delete
  3. We are so very sorry to hear about dear Lily. It sure is tough. We send you purrs, hugs and all our love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I know you and your family can understand the pain of this loss.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about Lily. Losing a beloved pet is so hard. I'm sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I know you lost your sweet pup years ago and bet the loss is still very real.

      Delete
  5. I am so very very sorry about your loss. It is so very hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mystica, I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to hear about Lily. It sounds like you and she had a wonderful life together. Making that final decision is so difficult even when you know it is right. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about Lily, Diane! Losing a pet is awful.... thinking of you and sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnn. I know non pet owners might find this type of grief difficult but, it's real.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Diane. I am so sad to read about Lily! It sounds like she had a wonderful life as your best friend and I know you'll miss her terribly. Sending you hugs, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Les, it's sad for sure, non pet owners might find this type of grief difficult but, it's real.

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear about Lily. The hardest decision we can make is to let a beloved animal go - but it's also the kindest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is difficult, but, comments like yours Mary mean so much. I shared them with my husband.

      Delete
  10. Diane, I'm so sorry about Lily! She was a beautiful cat and I loved your tribute to her. So very hard to make choices about what is best for them. Our daughter and son-in-law had something similar happen to one of their dogs - a sudden decline, trouble breathing, and it turned out - a tumor inside his heart. I'm so happy that Lily brought you such joy. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay. I felt a need to share just how unique and loved she was.

      Delete
  11. Oh, Diane ... my heart aches. I'm so sorry that you've lost your precious Lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth, Thank you so much, I knew something was wrong but didn't expect to get this type of report. If we would have brought her home for a while it would be for selfish reasons and not in her best interest.

      Delete
  12. Diane, I'm so sorry for your loss, glad for all the lovely years you had with her❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peggy. It's never long enough when we lose someone we love is it?

      Delete
  13. Why is loss so hard? But it is. And that first night without the loved one is the hardest. I am glad you had two good books to read during that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I awoke last light and shifted position, realizing once again she was gone, falling asleep again was next to impossible.

      Delete
  14. I am so deeply, deeply sorry about sweet Lily. I soooo KNOW!!!! Cody doesn't sleep with us, but, my Angel Bobo and I spent many, many years where it was just us....he ALWAYS slept with me, even when I took a nap. When he left, it was so hard. Keeping you in my heart, what a pretty girl she was (((hugs)))) xoxo catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caren, thank you so much, I know you know how painful a bond like this really is.

      Delete
  15. I am so sorry to hear about Lily. She was a lucky cat to have someone as caring as you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for your loss. Lily sounds like a wonderful kitty. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Diane, my heart is sore thinking of your loss of your beloved cat Lily. I know this may sound stupid to say, but I will be thinking of you. I hope you will be able to take the time to really take very, very good care of yourself now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so very sorry for the loss of Lily. I know how hard it is to loose such an important part of your family. My babydog Patches slept in the bend of my knees and it took quite a while to get used to her not being there. Sending you many many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is just as painful to lose our fur babies as it is a loved human. Thank you Vicki

      Delete
  19. I am so sorry, Diane. (I have been away this weekend but I also saw your Instagram post.) She was a beautiful cat. I know you will miss your "equal opportunity lapper" and special companion. This exceptional cat had an exceptional family. <3 Diane, please take extra good care as you miss and remember dear Lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, Lily was the perfect cat that should have been cloned! Miss her everyday.

      Delete
  20. Oh, so sad about Lily. You will miss her forever, and remember your special times together.

    I enjoyed Is This Tomorrow, but it was definitely gloomy, and it also represents what those times were like for some of us. Cold War life might have looked picture-perfect from the outside, but the fears, even paranoia, that riddled those times...I remember it well. I wouldn't want to go back there.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Laurel for the Lily comments - she would have made every non-cat lover a convert!!

      Delete
  21. So sorry to hear about Lily, what a wonderful kitty! You were blessed and she will be missed. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry about the loss of your beloved cat.

    Thanks for sharing information on the new Alex George novel. I also loved A Good American so I'd love to read the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot, Lily was the best.

      I liked A Good American more but this was good as well.

      Delete
  23. I am so sorry about your beautiful Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry, Diane. I wish I could reach through the computer and give you a big hug. I have tears in my eyes for you. Lily was a beautiful and wonderful friend to you from the sounds of it. Well loved. You were both lucky to have each other. I am thinking of you, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back to you Wendy. My heart is broken but, like he knew I was hurting, my 15 year old cat Buddy became me new constant companion and lap cat. Funny how they know.

      Delete
  25. I am sorry for your loss Diane. Lily sounds a little like my dog who also loves the sun and sitting in my lap. My heart will break when she is gone. I will be thinking about you and your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I appreciate you comment on the loss of our Lily. I'm glad you have a pet that brings you such joy. It's always hard to have to let them go. (Hopefully, your dog will live a nice long life.)

      Delete
  26. Oh, Diane, I am so sorry about Lily. Isn't it amazing that such a tiny presence could have such a big place in your lives and your hearts?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.