Tuesday, September 22, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Heart Goes Last; Margaret Atwood


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two from a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. I started the audio yesterday (read by Cassandra Campbell and Mark Deakins))

The Heart Goes Last; Margaret Atwood
Nan Talese - 2015

I - Where?

Cramped

"Sleeping in the car is cramped.  Being a third-hand Honda, it's no palace to begin with.  If it was a van they'd have more room, but fat chance of affording one of those, even back when they thought they had money.  Stan says they're lucky to have any kind of car at all, which is true, but their luckiness doesn't make the car any bigger.

Charmaine feels that Stan ought to sleep in the back because he needs more space -- it would only be in the front in order to drive them away fast in an emergency.  He doesn't trust Charmaine's ability to function under those circumstances: he says she's been too busy screaming to drive.  So Charmaine can have the more spacious back, though even so she has to curl up like a snail because she can't exactly stretch out."


What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 



(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?

37 comments:

  1. Oh, I would keep reading, since it's Margaret Atwood...and the opening lines piqued my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the start and, since its Margaret Atwood, I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a library hold on this one...waiting for it to come my way. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the opening lines - I already want to know more about Charmaine and how she and Stan have ended up in the car...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read Atwood in the past, but I don't read her any more. Mostly, it's her snobbish attitude about those who self-publish that's turned me off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not even going to pretend that I'm not beyond jealous of you for getting to read this one! I mean, uuugghh Margaret Atwood! I need to get my hands on it soon :) thanks for hosting!
    Juli @ Univese in Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd keep reading because it's Atwood, although the beginning hasn't totally grabbed me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is embarrassing, but I've never read Atwood. I plan to try The Handmaid's Tale sometime soon (but, soon is a relative term!). I'd keep reading since I'm curious about Atwood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd keep reading, although the blurb doesn't really appeal. I'd need to see more before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read Atwood, but I'd give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's Margaret Atwood so a definite yes from me. Love her writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her writing as well, but there are several of her books I still need to read.

      Delete
  12. The opening doesn't grab me but, since it's Atwood, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one hooked me early on, and C. Campbell's narration, as always is excellent.

      Delete
  13. I've never been able to get into Atwood, but I might keep going a bit further to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's nor to futuristic, but is bound to head in that direction it seems:)

      Delete
  14. The cover of the book and this opening leaves me with lots of questions, so I'd keep reading! Somehow I've never gotten around to reading one of Margaret Atwood's books. This one looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read a lot of her earlier books, but the ones I've read I did enjoy.

      Delete
  15. I would read some more to find out what's up with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For starters -- Homeless after they lost their jobs and home:(

      Delete
  16. I'm not sure if I'd continue reading or not - maybe I'd read a little more before I decided

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one sounds good! I've read some of her books in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Cassandra Campbell! I hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that we chose the same book, Diane; I knew I liked you - HA! :) I was definitely hooked early on; this story is wild!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.