Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Road Ends; Mary Lawson



Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. 

Mary Lawson is an author I've enjoyed in the past. I'm featuring both the first paragraph of the prologue as well as from chapter one from her new book Road Ends.

Road Ends; Mary Lawson
Dial Press - July 2014

PROLOGUE
Struan, August 1967

" The road was heavily overgrown and they had to stop the car half a dozen times in order to hack down the shrubs or drag fallen trees aside.  Once a sizeable beech blocked the way and they attacked it with a cross-cut saw. Simon had never seen a cross-cut saw before, far less used one, and he was predictably useless, but ridiculing him was part of the fun."

CHAPTER ONE
Megan
Struan, February 1966

"Two weeks before Megan left home she began a clear-out of her room.  She put her suitcase (the biggest she could find, purchased from Hudson's Bay) on the bed and a large cardboard box (free of charge from Marshall's Grocery) on the floor beside it and anything that wouldn't fit into the one had to go into the other.  She was ruthless about it, she intended to travel light.  Out went any items of clothing she hadn't worn for a year or more, any shoes ditto, any odd socks or underwear with holes in it that she had saved for days that didn't matter, in full knowledge of the fact that none of her days mattered, or at least not in a way that required respectable underwear.  Out went the debris left in the bottom of drawers: safety pins, bobby pins, fraying hair ribbons, a beaded bracelet with half the beads missing, the remains of a box made of birch bark and decorated with porcupine quills, ancient elastic bands looking so much like desiccated earthworms that she had to close her eyes when she picked them up and a quill pen fashioned from an eagle's feather, made for her by Tom when he was at the eagle's feather stage."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think?

Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.

30 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one...I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning of chapter one makes me think she's not going to need all of the things she's packing. I'd definitely keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of this one. We all seem to have a collection of random bits and bobs in the bottom of drawers. Great selection.
    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cleo - isn't that the truth. I always find mysterious things at the bottom of drawers I empty.

      Delete
  4. This is an interesting intro. I'm intrigued to find out what is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of this -- from the tree cutting to the packing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too, this author paints vivid images with her words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, that sounds promising . . .the opening does make you want to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good. I would keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how it's started, but think I would need more information about the book before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the prolog and first chapter. I', glad you are enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This title and author are new to me, but yes, I would keep reading. I wonder where she is going?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The prologue didn't grab me, but Chapter One did. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the imagery created by the prologue and the first part of chapter one sounds good too! I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the description of the decisions she made while packing, especially her observation that she didn't need "respectable" underwear! I think I'd enjoy this story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the beginning. I'm thinking this Mary Lawson might have written Crow Lake which I loved. This first chapter seems to have a Native American feeling to it. Just feel that way. Probably, wrong. Enjoy it. I would like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would continue, I didn't read the author before but the writing style sounds very approachable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I'd need to read a bit more I think. Not heard of this book before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder why is she packing... moving? Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to go through my closet and drawers with those rules.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great prologue and beginning! I look forward to reading more about Road Ends.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think I've ever read this author though the name definitely rings a bell. I'll have to look for this one as I like the writing style. It has a nice simple quality that can be very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've read Crow Lake a couple of times and it was just as good the second time around as the first. I also read her second novel (The Other Side of the Bridge) and thought it was quite good, too, but not as good as Crow Lake. I'm eager to give this new book a read. Her previous books have such a strong sense of place and she writes so beautifully. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sorry I'm so late posting--what a week. Your book has a good beginning. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.