Thursday, October 13, 2011

Darkness, My Old Friend; Lisa Unger


Title: Darkness, My Old Friend 
Author:  Lisa Unger
Publication Year: 2011
Publisher: Random House Audio
Edition: audio book 
Reader: Nancy Linari ( very good)
Source: Library 
Date Completed: 10/10/2011
Setting: New York
Rating: 4/5
Recommend: yes

Having enjoyed all of Lisa Unger's earlier books, I was anxious to return to The Hollows, after reading her last book Fragile.  It would be good to read Fragile first, but not absolutely required.

The Hollows is a sleep rural town full of secrets.  Willow Graves, age fifteen, and her mystery writer mother, Bethany have relocated from Manhattan to The Hollows after her parent's divorce.  Willow has a hard time adjusting to life here; she just doesn't seem to fit in.  She likes to fabricate stories to make herself seem more interesting, and she gets in with the wrong crowd as well.  Despite her behavior, I felt sorry for Willow, as high school is difficult enough without beating to a different drummer, as was the case with Willow.  Early on, one day Willow decides to leave school early, and while cutting through some woods, she sees a man digging a massive hole, with what looks to be a huge bag near by.  He spots Willow when her cell phone begins to ring. Startled she drops the phone and runs all the way home. He however, has he phone ----

Jones Cooper is recently retired from the Hollows Police Department. He moonlights doing odd jobs for neighbors and watching their homes while they are away.  He's encouraged to do some PI work, and eventually agrees to help look into the disappearance of a woman year's earlier at the request of her adult son.

Eloise Montgomery, lost her husband and son in a car crash and nearly died herself. She survives, but  when she recovers she finds she has psychic abilities, which are both a blessing and a curse.  She teams with Jones to try and solve the disappearance.

There are a few lesser characters as well, but the commonality for everyone in this novel seems to be the fact that each person has a dark secret from their past or "darkness" in the present which they need to confront.  There was a lot going on in this mystery / psychological thriller.  The setting created by Unger seemed ideal for this particular story, and although the story wasn't perfect, I remained anxious throughout to see how the story would end.  I liked this novel, it held my interest, but I thought the ending was a bit predictable.  The reader Nancy Linari, did a terrific job. 

Have you read this one or other novels by Lisa Unger?  What did you think?


12 comments:

  1. The only Lisa Unger book I've read is Fragile and I thought it was terrific! I'm really looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a copy of this one and hope to read it soon. I really liked FRAGILE last year. I don't think I've read other Unger books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read anything by Lisa Unger -- I'm sorry the ending of this was so predictable, because it sounds like it was enjoyable otherwise. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Say no more...You have me convinced. I just requested Fragile on audio from the library and then I will be on to this one. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just offered a copy of this one. I'm not sure it's for me. I've never read Unger before, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read anything by Unger, and think that this one sounds rather interesting. It seems to have a lot going for it aside from the main mystery, which is something that piques my interest. I think I am going to have to check out Fragile pretty soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I 'won' this one on Library Thing Early Reviewers ..in May...and never received it.
    Still waiting however...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this author but the story sounds like a good one. Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I read an Unger book last year … but the title escapes me. It was OK but I never went back for more from her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MUST read/listen to Unger... have been curious about her books for such a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy Ungers books and noticed this one when I was flipping through the library's digital books. Glad to know it the second in a series. I hate reading out of order.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved her first 2, but only liked Black Out. Haven't tried Fragile yet, but probably will.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.