Thursday, June 10, 2010

73 - Hot House Flower and the 9 Plants of Desire; Margot Berwin














In Hot House Flower and the 9 Plants of Desire, Lila Nova is a 30 something advertising executive living in New York City. Her life is in flux. She is newly divorced, unhappy with her job, and she's moved to a new tiny apartment. Feeling lonely and somewhat insecure, she needs something to brighten her days, and her tiny but sunny apartment.

While shopping for a perfect plant for her place, she meets David Exley, and after some flirtatious exchanges, and chit chat about plants, she decides on a Bird of Paradise plant.  Her interest in plants becomes heightened, and then one day while walking past a laundromat, she notices a gorgeous fern in the window.  Curious to find out more, about the fern, she goes inside, and there she meets a mysterious man named Armand.  He tells her about the plant, a "fire fern", and begins to tell her about the "nine plants of desire".  Armand gives her a cutting of the fern, and he asks Lila to return to see him if she is successful in getting the plant to root.  He promises to show her the "nine plants of desire if she returns, but before that happens, his plants are stolen. Both of them suspect David Exley, with whom Lila had a brief fling.

The story continues with Lila and Armand traveling to a Yucatan rain forest in search of these mysterious plants.

MY THOUGHTS - I am always surprising myself lately, by really liking books, I don't expect to enjoy. (Don't you love when that happens?) What can I say except that this was a great audio book. Cassandra Campbell is a fantastic reader. The story and the reader held my interest, and  I was always anxious to resume listening to the book whenever I was able to.  The background info about the "nine plants" was fascinating, but then I am a plant fanatic. If you like stories with elements of love, lust, passion and greed, and don't mind the elements of magical realism, then I think you should give this book a try.

BTW...Julie Roberts has snapped up the film rights to this one, and I think it would make a terrific movie as well.
RECOMMENDED - 4/5 Stars (Library Audio Book)

11 comments:

  1. I'll have to put this book on my wish list-it sounds likes its a good one! Thanks for your review-glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm heading right to my library's reserve list with this title. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title of this one, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this one and have been curious about it. You make it sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually did have this on my little notes all over to add to my wish list, but then lost the little note, so I'm so glad to read about it again! And I am really interested in plants. Now if I read it thought, I suppose I'll be imagining Lila as Julia Roberts! But that's not the worst one could do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Cassandra Campbell as a reader, too! Isn't it nice when a book surprised you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up this book at the local independent store close to my house and was seriously considering getting it. The gentleman that worked in the store highly recommended it, but I bought The Help instead. Since then I have been meaning to grab a copy, but haven't done it yet. I am so glad you liked it and will be reading it in the future for sure. Great review! It sounds like a book I would love!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard great things about this book, so I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I hope to get to it at some point soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this one before. It does sound like it would make a good movie and it sounds like it will become one in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had this on my wishlist for a while. Sounds like I might need to bump it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love magical realism and this one sounds delightful. And yes, I always love it when I love a book and didn't think I was going to enjoy it all!! I'm off to my library site to request this one...you're a very naughty girl today Diane!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.