Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happy Birthday, New England Bloggers!

Elizabeth, over at Thoughts From an Evil Overlord is the brain child of New England Bloggers. We are a group of bloggers from the six New England States of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. In one year, our membership has grown to over 120 members with active blogs. To celebrate our one year birthday, Elizabeth has encouraged us to do a  post that relates to our interesting region.

New England is the only place I have ever lived.  Most of my life was lived in Massachusetts (the western part of that state). Here is where my life began.......


(A lot has changed since the 1950's)

 
Most people think of the beautiful and historical Berkshires when you mention Western Massachusetts.  My favorite part of Western Massachusetts has always been the lovely and well known five college area.

Amherst, Massachusetts has been named the number (1) College town in North America. The Amherst area offers the prestigious Amherst College, Smith College, Mount Holyoke College, Hampshire College, and the University of Massachusetts.

The other New England state that I call home is Rhode Island  (the smallest state in the US). It's funny when we were on vacation one time and we told the waitress we were from Rhode Island, she said, "what state is that in New York"? LOL

The entire population of the State of Rhode Island is just over (1) million people (2008 population was 1, 050,788). But, if you have never been to Rhode Island it has so much to offer, despite the high taxes, high unemployment and corruption that you may have read about at some time.

Appropriately coined the "Ocean State," Rhode Island has more than 400 miles of scenic coastline, featuring more than 100 public and private beaches. Their pristine beauty is one of the state's most appealing attributes.  And, don't forget to take a tour of the Newport Mansions (a fabulous place to visit). Home to Ivy League Brown University , or perhaps you'd like to send your child to a University with views of the ocean, like Roger Williams University or Salve Regina University , and I could not go without mentioning The University of Rhode Island (not on the ocean, but only about (5) miles away).

How about a few of the lovely Rhode Island Libraries.



(Not just one, but three great public libraries in a town of 28,000)




 

Many of you have asked about the photo in my blog's header. HERE is some info about it's history.

How about food favorites when visiting Rhode Island.  The personal favorite of friends and family is RI Clam Fritters (please don't ask about calories...if you plan to make and eat these; you just don't want to know.....trust me)! It's worth it though....LOL


Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1/3 cup diced onion
  • Oil for deep-fat frying
  • Tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges, optional

Directions

  • In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; set aside. Drain clams, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set clams aside. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk and reserved clam juice; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add the clams and onion.
  • In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve fritters with tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges if desired. Yield: 14-16 fritters.
And just for a little nostalgia........Here is a photo of the High School I graduated from.
Isn't it a lovely building?


(Built in 1921, it was a beauty, but then, all good things must come to an end, so in  2004 a brand new High School took it's place)



(With every modern convenience you can imagine, but I'll always like the old one better).

I can't choose whether I like Massachusetts or Rhode Island better as (we call them both home), but, don't believe just me, there is so much more to be experienced by living in or visiting New England.  For a virtual tour of more of what New England has to offer, check out this site.

Be sure to stop by Elizabeth's Blog during the week as well. She has posted a Mr. Linky so you will be able to tour New England all week by visiting the blogs of those New Englanders who are participating. Thanks to Elizabeth for coordinating this effort.

HAPPY VIRTUAL TRAVELS.

26 comments:

  1. Fabulous post! I have a sister in MA, and she often goes to RI. Now I know why--it's beautiful and full of beaches and libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I am a transplanted New Englander - I've been living in Kansas for nearly 20 years - but I spent my junior high/high school/college years in Connecticut.

    I will enjoy traveling with the New England bloggers this week. I am sure it will bring back some fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been to New England one time, but you've really made me want to take a trip up there. I'd want to come in the summer, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Diane! I loved the comment from the waitress about RI being in New York! I also love the town with the 3 gorgeous libraries!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!!!

    Hi from a fellow New England Blogger!!! I am so excited about this blog carnival Elizabeth is hosting and getting to know fellow New Englanders!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've granted you an award. Enjoy!

    http://amusedbybooks.blogspot.com/2010/01/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what beautiful, beautiful buildings to house books in! A shame about your old high school, mine didn't look anything like that!!

    Really enjoyed this post, gonna try out those RI Clam Fritters, they don't resemble my NS pancake style ones at all. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures! How can I join the club? I live and work in Massachusetts! :)

    P.S. I gave you an award over at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I'm really enjoying getting to know some other NE bloggers! I've never been to RI...just driven through. I'm finding so many place I want to visit today--must plan road trip :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alyane....Go over to Elizabeth's blog and sign up:

    http://ebogie.blogspot.com/2007/01/new-england-bloggers.html


    Suko, Molly,Kathy, Elizabeth, Kristin, thanks for visiting and enjoying the tour of RI and MA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Fabulous pictures.

    I went to Providence 2 summers ago. I have a now 16yo and we took her to RISD for an open house type thing. I'm hoping she can go to their summer program this or next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an excellent post, Diane! I LOVE the pictures! Now I want to visit New England!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my goodness, those fritters look SO GOOD! Maybe in the summer when I'm a little slimmer?

    I like the variety of this post and especially the architecture of the libraries.........

    Happy anniversary!
    Tinky
    http://www.ourgrandmotherskitchens.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos of the libraries! Wonderful!

    -Amy
    Life by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing ... now you never did answer that question: Is Rhode Island in New York? HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clam fritters convinced me - I must visit New England now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 3 libraries?? As Napoleon Dynamite would say, "Lucky!"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for this New England tour. I have not spent any time here, but I want to! I'd love to take a driving tour up the coast. Now you've made me want to plan another vacation this year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! You did a wonderful job about Rhode Island.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh, I love clam cakes! That's one of the things hubby and I miss about living in RI. We used to go to Horton's Seafood in East Providence (we lived just over the river on the Providence side) and one of our favorite things to get was clam chowder with clam cakes. Mmmmmmmmmm

    And you're right - worrying about calories is pointless with those things!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful post! I would love to spend more time in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a fellow RIer I have to agree that there is much to love in our little state. Here in the East Bay we call RI Clam Fritters, Clam Cakes. They are best when dipped in Rhode Island Clam Chowder (broth based). Yum, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi There Dianne
    Thanks for the visit to my blog. I really enjoyed visiting yours. RI is wonderful. In fact, my best friend grew up there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never been to the New England area -- Yikes! I will have to put that on my bucket list. Now where did I put it?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful post - I learned so much. Please tell me that they didn't tear down your old high school!

    I love libraries - and I would be wild about three libraries within that distance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sara,


    Thanks for visiting my blog, and no they did not tear down our old high school, but it is vacant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.