Sunday, June 7, 2009

84 - The Plague of Doves; Louise Erdrich

The Plague of Doves: A Novel was recommended to me by a friend, and since I enjoyed (2) of Louise Erdrich’s previous books: The Painted Drum: A Novel (P.S.) and The Master Butchers Singing Club (P.S.)
I was anxious to get to this one. After listening to this audio book for about a week, I was sorry to see it come to and end. The readers: Kathleen McInerney and Peter James were fabulous. It was one of those rare books where the main characters were very engaging, and my only complaint was that the story does go back and forth, and there are a lot of characters so at least some parts of the audio book were a bit confusing. The audio book was named as one of the top audio books for 2008 in Audio File Magazine.

The story opens when five family members of a white family are murdered in a remote town in Pluto, North Dakota located near an Indian Reservation in 1911. When some Indians find the white family dead, but that a little baby has been spared, they want to protect the baby but are afraid they will be suspected as the murderers. The Indians decide to leave a note for the sheriff, but then something dreadful happens to these innocent Indians, they become the victims in a vigilante lynching.

The story goes back and forth in time from the late 1800’s is told through multiple characters whose recollections differ about the events that transpired. The author tells an incredibly painful tale of a small town torn apart by violence, and how future generations are affected by the cruelty of others.

Louise Erdrich is a masterful story teller who is able to capture so beautifully the effect that racism has on generations to come, and that children sometimes not only inherit the good traits of their parents, but the terrible traits as well. An unforgettable story, probably the best yet by this author.

RATING - 4.5/5 - COMPLETED - 6/7/09
WHERE FROM: Library

10 comments:

  1. Erdrich is an author I've been wanting to read for a while now and this is the second post about her I've read today. Now is the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by this author, but I want to. I have heard this novel is particular good and I am glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, had to stop by and so glad I did! Your "header" photo (don't know the tech word for it) is gorgeous. And you're a New Englander! (grew up in NY state, an hour from Vermont border, so it's always good to get that "view" again...miss it!)

    I have a pile of library books to get through and then I will move over to Erdrich. Loved this review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by and visting my blog! I have never been to New England, but I want to come because I hear it's beautiful!
    Bibliophile...LOVE IT! I love books too!
    Macey

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second time I've seen a great review for this book. I think I may have to order a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read Erdrich, but have heard so many good things about her. I plan to read this book but the heartbreaking blurb makes me hesitate. Now I really want to read it, thank you for a thoughtful review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually couldn't stand this book! So it's nice to hear from someone who did enjoy it! I did adore The Master Butcher's Singing Club so would like to read more of Erdrich's work in that vein

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Erdrich, so I've been looking forward to this one. I love reading a book that leads some to love it and others to hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this will have to be my first Erdrich. It sounds like an absolutely fabulous book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.