Thursday, May 14, 2009

69 - All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome; Kathy Hoopmann


Okay, I did not know what to make of this book All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome when I saw it on the table at a recent book sale, but cat lover that I am, how could I pass it up for 50 cents?

The book is just 65 pages, but not only does the book have great photos of kittens on every page but there is something to be learned by each photo and how the various cat photos relates to Asperger's Syndrome. The book begins by showing a sleeping kitty and telling how the first signs of Aspergers are usually picked up very young.

The photographs go on to show how an Asperger child looks at the world in a unique way. Another photo shows a kitty alone, and states that although "he likes to be near those he loves, he doesn't want them to hold him, preferring squishy places to a hug". Another photo demonstrates a scared kitty and states , "An Asperger child often has exceptionally good hearing, and loud sounds and sudden movements may scare him".

All in all this book is pretty amazing in the way it explains Aspergers in simple terms, and using large letters to explain each kitten photo in terms of children with Aspergers. By using these adorable photos to explain how cats can be very quirky, aloof and creatures of routine, and that their behaviors, at times, can be somewhat similar to children with Aspergers.

This book would be a good teaching resource for siblings, therapists and teachers. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

RATING - 5/5 - COMPLETED - 5/14/09
WHERE FROM: My Stacks

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a book! I like that it makes Asperger's so easily understandable for kids and adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew Cooper has Autism, but he does really well in school. Sometimes he will get frustrated about homework; I wonder about him in school, does he get frustrated there too? I used to help him with his homework, but since I lost my ability to speak to ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease. I can't walk any more, either. I miss helping my nieces and nephews with their homework and reading to my 4 year old nephew, Owen.

    I also want to thank you for signing up on my followers section of my blog. What did you like about my old book blog? I was wondering why I was not getting into my Gmail and book blog and I lost my Gmail account and was able to get my original e-mail address back, but I had to change my book blog address. (How did you find my new blog, by the way?) My new blog address is:

    http://intergalaticbookworm.blogspot.com

    Judy/Intergalatic Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really unique book. I'd like to get a chance to check this one out. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.