Sunday, August 17, 2008

122 - The Grift; Debra Ginsberg


I was in the mood for a psychological thriller when I saw The Grift, by Debra Ginsberg in the NEW Books section of my library. I decided to give it a try.

In this newly released book with a cleaver premise, the author mixes the supernatural along with some mystery.

Marina Marks is an emotionally damaged young woman who has worked as a psychic since she was a young child. As a child, she used her ability to help support her junkie mother, and now as an adult, to support herself. Initially Marina does not believe that psychic abilities even exist. Instead, she uses intuition and her keen sense of observation to trick her clients into thinking she is psychic. The reader is introduced to an interesting group of misfits/clients, each with their own set of issues. As the story develops you learn more about each of the clients.

About half way through the book, Marina's abilities become too real, and she starts receiving eerie visions in the form of dreams. At this point the story becomes more of a mystery, and, although I kept turning the pages to see how it all ends, I did start to lose interest. Marina, in my opinion, was just more interesting as a "grifter".

Rating - 3.5/5 - Completed 8/16/08

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.